Gas Tungsten Arc Welding – GTAW
Covers welding in the 1F and 1G positions on various joint configurations using the GTAW (TIG), welding process on carbon steel; adjusting parameters and operating equipment, utilizing the various filler materials for each process. Layout procedures will be introduced and practiced, along with welding safety, Industry Standard Soft Skills, and A.W.S. filler metal classification and selection. Basic math, measuring, computer skills, and Blueprint reading will be introduced.
- Exhibit shop safety practices.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area
- Perform safety inspections on GTAW equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiencies on GTAW welding equipment setup and operation.
- Interpret basic Blueprints and identify weld symbols.
- Demonstrate proper layout procedures.
- Identifies safety practices pertinent to weld position and process.
- Demonstrates proper machine set-up and operation-specific to weld process, position, material type, and thickness.
- Demonstrates metallurgical knowledge through proper layout and preparation procedures.
- Demonstrates the ability to read technical drawings and apply welds based on information provided on the reference line.
- Identify weld defects and discontinuities through destructive and non-destructive testing
- Demonstrates welding proficiencies in the 3FU position, utilizing GTAW.
- Performs guided bend tests on mild steel in the 3GU position.
- Perform guided bend test utilizing all four welding processes in the 2G position